The Content Creator Landscape - Visualized

Recently, I have joined On Deck Fellowship and able to meet a number of amazing Founders and entrepreneurs. I have the chance to talk and share more about the opportunity in the creator economy. “How…

Recently, I have joined On Deck Fellowship and was able to meet a number of amazing Founders and entrepreneurs. I have the chance to talk and share more about the opportunity in the creator economy. “How large is the creator landscape?” “What is the market opportunity?” These are some of the questions that are commonly asked. I am hoping to answer these through some data that I have received from influencity. Comment below and let me know what you think!


Content Creators in numbers:

  • 50M Content Creators Worldwide

  • 2M+ Creating Content as a Business

Travel & Lifestyle Content Creators

  • 10M Travel & Lifestyle Content Creator Worldwide

  • ~3.2M locate in Europe, US, Canada

According to the industry standard, a conservative approach to classifying various creator tiers are as follows:

  • Nano-creators: 1,000–10,000 followers

  • Micro-creators: 10,000–50,000 followers

  • Mid-tier creators: 50,000–500,000 followers

  • Macro-creators: 500,000–1,000,000 followers

  • Mega-creators: 1,000,000+ followers


Next, I was curious to look into what are the distribution among creators with a community size larger than 50K — 1M+ followers. According to Fig. 1, we can see the top-tier creators (Macro + Mega creators) only represent only a small percent of the creators (about ~5%) and this is consistent across various content verticals. The top mega creators (1M+ followers), only represent about 1% of the creators in total. These two groups of creators generally have great business resources, a full team to operate and handle partnerships in addition to creating content. Hence, the biggest portion of the revenue goes to the Top Creators. They have more opportunities and skills to monetize representing about 80% of the revenue generated in the creator space.


Reach of by the creators, the reach represented by the top tier (Macro + Mega Creators) only represents about 40% of the reach across various content verticals while the rest of the 60% of these reach are generated by Mid-tier creators (with 50K- 500K followers). When talking to these creators, they can generate amazing content and great viewership. However, they are essentially by a small team without the richest resources to operate as a proper business. What does this suggest to us? A big portion of the total monthly views, driven by the Mid-tier Creator is not being monetized.

There’s a huge opportunity to help the mid-tier content creator to generate additional revenue empowering them to turn creation into a sustainable business faster. At Paak we build tools that empower creators by providing them with new revenue opportunities, we enable content creators to earn commissions via curated travel experiences they can share alongside their content, in all social media channels.

If you are a content creator passionate about what you do, and what we are building, be sure to sign up for our beta

Join as a Creator Today

Let me know what you think below 👇